30 posts in this topic

Minelab's GPX series

2 people like this

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No one talking GPX???

Best relic machine I have ever used.

What's to talk about? Deepest machine on the market today for gold and relics. It IS, the "Mack Daddy." :bow:

post-80-0-58109600-1345172002_thumb.jpg

With Chris Gholson at the Minelab training facility in Dewey, Arizona.

Used my 5000 for the first time last weekend, dug tons of nails, even with iron reject at 7. Everything sounds the same to me.

Really looking forward to trying it out in Culpeper.

Used my 5000 for the first time last weekend, dug tons of nails, even with iron reject at 7. Everything sounds the same to me.

Really looking forward to trying it out in Culpeper.

I felt the same about mine until my other detector broke and I committed to using it full time. Commit to using it full time before you go to Culpepper. I didn't and I regret it. I had some great people giving me advice but nothing beats figuring your machine out yourself. You don't want to be figuring it out once you get on that sacred ground.

I am trying to take your advice but really struggling, all I found was nails this weekend. I finally broke down and used my Safari and found buttons and coins.

The GPX does not go very deep, could be ground balancing issue as the detector seems overly stable right out of the gate. All the videos on the Internet have the machine really eratic before ground balancing, mine is very stable when first turned on, even in VA soil.

I am thinking of buying Porter's Unwrapping the GPX 5000 DVD, but it appears to be overly gold hunting oriented.

Will try again this weekend. Thanks for your advice.

Great video, thanks for the recommendation. I will try again this weekend.

i have now used the GPX at two hunts and done ok.  It is not that I don't find good stuff, it is that I spend too much time digging junk, especailly nails.  Yesterday I took Jeff's advice and "planted" a relic garden to get the sounds of button, bullets, and coins down.  After I felt I knew what good hits sounded like, I began to hunt a known site.  And I can now say that nails at around 7 inches sound just like a deep bullet.

Pulse is more difficult a language than Mandarin to me.

I hope to someday learn it and start digging the deep stuff.  Good Luck !!

you are not kidding.  I tested my GPX against my DFX and Safari and the GPX had much better depth.  I then went for a dig with the GPX and found 16 nails, they all sounded so good.

you are not kidding.  I tested my GPX against my DFX and Safari and the GPX had much better depth.  I then went for a dig with the GPX and found 16 nails, they all sounded so good.

One thing I've found is the deep square nails that won't break tone usually end up in the side wall and good targets in the center of the plug. If you circle a target while swinging the square nails will move or sound like 2 targets with the square nail right in the middle. a good target will stay in it's original spot.... Try it , I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

1 person likes this

I have noticed that the nails are in the side wall, will definitely try your recommendation. Thanks!

Do you receive a slight break in the signal when it is a nail? They have a irregularity about them.  

Do you receive a slight break in the signal when it is a nail? They have a irregularity about them.  

It really depends on how deep they are, if they're bent and how much ground action or rust they have on them. 

this last RR hunt was really the first time since I bought the GPX that I began to feel comfortable using it.  I dug far fewer nails than usual and now understand the sounds better.  Thanks to Jeff and Mark for giving me pointers over the past couple of hunts.

1 person likes this

Ray out of curiousity how are you doing with it now?

Ray does well with it in the right place.

I managed to pickup a gp3500 for myself for about 1500 then added the goldscreamer system to rid of the huge battery.

Frickin love it-but it's different and takes some practice as with any new machine.

The gp series work just as well as the GPX does

Unless your looking for small gold

Make no mistake

What is the gold screamer system? Something minelab makes? I've heard about it just never read into it

A Goldscreamer is a battery?amplifier system made by Docs detecting.

One of the biggest drawbaks to the minelab pulse is that it it very power hungry. And the stock batteries are huge. The gp series (predecessors to the gpx) used a 4lb lead acid battery that you had to carry around in a harness. The gpx batteries were a tad lighter and included an amplifier in the battery, but same concept. Your basically tethered to your detector via a harness battery cable and head phones. 

So the docs system uses small li-po batteries and has an amplifier that they slide into. The system comes with a detector cover with a built in pouch the battery sytem sits in. No more harness, no more huge battery, Amazing amplification and you can set it down and walk away quickly. Great product

1 person likes this

Sorry to take so long to get back, I missed the post.

In the red dirt of Culpeper, its all I use.

On the latest dig I found a Georgia button and many bullets.

1 person likes this

Has anyone experimented with different brand headphones for the GPX?