NorthGa
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DiggerFilbert

Preserving iron relics

5 posts in this topic

When dealing with iron relics, I don't use electrolysis nor do I personally recommend it. I use boiled linseed oil on smaller iron pieces such as my Sharps hammer, canteen stopper, iron buckles, gun wrenches, bullet worms, etc. For shell fragments, I usually just let them be after rinsing them off. That type of hardened metal usually doesn't chip or flake so I don't really feel a need to do anything to them. Hope this method helps!

1 person likes this

NorthGa

Anything you can do to stop or slow the xidation process is important. i use electrolysis on most items but dont take them to the extreme. just enough! 

1 person likes this

It seems to work with others, I just like to keep the originality of the relic. But hey, if you're making good finds and having a good time, that's what it's about.

On 6/15/2015 at 0:42 PM, jamesbibb said:

Anything you can do to stop or slow the xidation process is important. i use electrolysis on most items but dont take them to the extreme. just enough! 

James,

I'm setting up my electrolysis unit this weekend to clean up the bayonet I found this past weekend. I will start off slow with 2 AMP and see how it goes. The bayonet is all in tack including the jubilee ring. I have been told that after cleaning that I should cover with a paste of sorts to keep the oxidization at bay. What are your thoughts on this way forward.yard find.jpg

Once done w/ elctrolysis coat with rust inhibitor from autozone 3 coats leaves a very nice attractive finish. I like better than linseed oil which can leave sticky residue and self combust - the rags if they are balled up in the trash