NorthGa
matt092079

New site produces 8 silver coins, 1808 half cent, 3 large coppers, 2 civil war plates and more!

30 posts in this topic

I went out yesterday to do some scouting and searching for some new permissions.  I went to one house where there was known civil war activity, but no one was home.  Decided to go to a place I had driven by before and went up but the guy wasn't home, as I wasn't pulling out he pulled in.  I asked if I could metal detect and he told me it was a waste of time that hundreds have been there before. I said I'd like to do the field beside his house and he said "go ahead".  He said it had been a while since someone has detected in the field.

Well, second signal in I get an 1899 barber half dollar, my first silver half dollar!  3rd signal was a silver Washington.  About the fifth signal in I got a BEAUTIFUL eagle sword belt plate!!  Hit a nice little patch of late colonial early 1800's buttons and buckle frame pieces and other relics. Down where the buttons and stuff were I got a really kinda trashy signal, but decided to dig it anyway.  Popped this mangled piece of brass out, but saw the lead backing.  I knew right away I had my first breast plate!!  It was beat up, but it's my first and I love it!  As I was leaving back up where I found the two silvers first thing I found another first, a standing liberty quarter. I went to show the old fella what I had found and he seemed impressed at the amount I pulled out!  He asked if he could have the standing liberty and I said it was fine.  Sorta a hard pill to swallow having to hand it over since it was my first, but that's a small price to pay for the rest of the relics and what was to come on day 2!

Well, day 2(this morning) I start out and first signal is a nice solid 82, but deep.  About 10 inches down was a new jersey copper!  The coppers didn't stop there.  I then got a 1818 beautiful large cent, then another first, ANOTHER beautiful 1810 capped bust large cent.  THEN ANOTHER FIRST, a nice 1808 draped bust half cent.  I was on cloud nice at this point.  I went back up the hill where I found the silvers and started to get scratchy iron signals, but the numbers were reading high with a little squeaky tone in there.  So I end up digging 5 silvers out of this 2 by 2 foot area, all over a foot deep.  Reason they were giving such a scratchy signal.  I dug 2 Washington quarters, 2 barber quarters and my first walking liberty half dollar!  I couldn't believe it!  It was my best coin day by far and I've almost surpassed my normal yearly silver coin totals in just 2 hunts!  I also dug some good relics including a nice bone handle pocket knife, large brass may be the spout to a copper tea kettle?  Also some more buttons and other odds and ends!  Thanks for looking and HH!

post-160-0-19381300-1423014406_thumb.jpg

post-160-0-81565100-1423014418_thumb.jpg

post-160-0-38716000-1423014422_thumb.jpg

post-160-0-93650100-1423014425_thumb.jpg

post-160-0-18680800-1423014431_thumb.jpg

post-160-0-05359500-1423014434_thumb.jpg

13 people like this

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow Matt that is an impressive collection for a short time hunting! WTG on the new permission and spot!

1 person likes this

That's some killer digs,luv the belt plate.Congrats and good luck next time.

1 person likes this

Incredible!!!  A hunt you will not soon forget...if ever!

Congrats,

Bunker

1 person likes this

Love it man. Great stuff!

1 person likes this

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing what else comes up at that site.

1 person likes this

Wow thats some good finds Matt. Also gives us hope that there is still places out there like that.

1 person likes this

Nice finds Matt, congrats on the great new site! 

1 person likes this

If that silver came from one spot its surely part of a cache. Id go back and dig it out :)

2 people like this

Badass hunt!!

1 person likes this

Very nice!

2 people like this

Not to shabby!!

1 person likes this

Unbelievable !!!Congratulations

1 person likes this

Very nice!

1 person likes this

Congratulations on the history that you've saved there!! Can't wait to see what else you find there!!

1 person likes this

Wow!

1 person likes this

That's good 2 days in anyone's book right there. Nice finds

1 person likes this

Outstanding hunt Matt!!!

1 person likes this

Don't you just love "hunted out" spots?  Get back there and get some more.  Awesome.

1 person likes this

Man you got me druling big time. Great digs

1 person likes this

Nice finds might be some flowing hair coins in there somewhere!

1 person likes this