amazing hunt snake KMMS va tounge xmas locket MISS I SABER BELT PLATE gold porter

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chesebrough Mfg. Co. Vaseline Bottle

14 posts in this topic

Posted

post-313-132906197036_thumb.jpgMy son found this bottle last weekend and I just had a chance to clean it (thanks for the cleaning tips guys). I went online and found some info. about this company and it looks like they were the original developers of Vaseline. Saw some other bottles just like this dated between 1885 and 1890. I forgot to put an item in the pic to show its size, but it's sitting on a small earring box if that gives you an idea.

Pic came out sideways here... it was straight in my file... don't know what happened. Sorry for the crick in you neck! ;)

Posted

Very cool bottle Lisa. Congrats to your son. :clap:

I had no idea that Vaseline went back that far. Ya learn something new every day around here. :thumbsup:

-MM-

Posted

Thanks! I also noticed later that the glass has a slight purple tint to it. My husband said this is from lead in the glass?? I hadn't heard of that. Sound right?

Posted

Some of the colored glass back then actually had uranium that gives it a glowing color.

Posted

Hello, my name is John and I live along the Saint John river in New Brunswick Canada. Me and a buddy found the same bottle in mint condition while we were scuba diving in the River.

Posted

Where did you find the bottle???

Posted

My son found ours on the Mobjack Bay (which is part of the Chesapeake Bay) in VA. From what I read, Vaseline was very popular when it came out and there was a jar in every household. Wonder how many survived all these years? Does yours have a faint purple tint too?

Posted

The history of this bottle is quite interesting, I also reside on the chesapeake bay. My husband was a waterman many years ago and the exact bottle you show here, I also have one. It is very interesting and thank you for posting the history.

Posted

Hello, can't see your pic, the description sounds similar to this one I found recently, often the old bottles full of mud have nice colors, most of which disappear when rinsed.. this one has lots of bubbles in the glass, and does have a slight purple tint

just '"Vaseline" Chesebrough New-York' no Mfg..

HH to You! Herbie.

NH FINDS 02-19 by steelheadwill, on Flickr

Posted

Hey I found another yesterday, a bit larger, and yellow tint instead of purple, 'Trade Mark' added, probably a later design.

Vaseline glass is a term used for some yellow glass that isn't even from vaseline... Hmmm.

HH All! Herbie.

Posted

This is the first time your photo was visible to me, I had no idea yours was a non threaded jar!

Great early Find!!

Posted

Neat little jar,Great Find

Posted

I lover old bottles, congrats to you boy on his find :sunny:

Posted

Great old glass find for sure! Hardly ever find any intact bottles out here in the fields. But once in a while one turns up. :wave: CARM